Thursday, July 23, 2015

Journey to Yale: Part 2-Journalism & Empowerment



Journey to Yale: Part 2-

Journalism & Empowerment

Click below to read the full version in
The Lexington Dispatch
 
The once in a life-time journey to Yale began last week (to read a full recap of the adventure click here). I hoped to bring home ideas about how to sustain my agency’s most recent program, a small county-wide magazine that focuses on articles and briefs such as, but not limited to, housing, financial literacy, community development, revitalization, foreclosure, education, self-improvement, community champions and upcoming events. As I loaded the car for the 11 hour trek, I realized I had been living off the sheer adrenaline of small town excitement and “We’re proud of you” type statements. But the truth is...
I am very proud of my community and how it has embraced Empowerment Magazine. 

Photo taken at the release party for the first edition of Empowerment



It came as no surprise that a course at Yale (formerly held at Stanford) would provide high quality educational value. I didn’t imagine the rich value of sharing experiences with other editors until I spent the week learning about the most important trends in journalism with participants from 13 different countries. From large to small publications, we shared some similar concerns.
A few of my international selfies representing Mexico, Dubai & Nigeria



The bastion of investigative journalism



The most exciting examples would bore those outside of the industry. Perhaps the screening of Zapruder & Stolley: “Witness to an Assassination,” followed by a Q&A with the famous Richard Stolley summarizes the experience.

 

These are some of the magazine that were represented by editors in the course





    
Stolley demonstrated commitment to seeking the truth, being a gentleman (unlike current Paparazzi) yet still landing the story.  His story was a great example of the importance of journalism. All week long we could sense his and others’ concerns that the blurring of lines between editorials and advertising, and between listicles and the rush to sensationalism was eroding his beloved profession. Stolley and others, such as Dorthy Kalins, graciously sat with us throughout the week, lending their ears and advice to our dilemmas. Hearing their stories quickly calmed my anxiety about belonging.  By the end of the week, I was presented a small gift of appreciation from director Tina Weiner. I accepted the experience with gratitude for the opportunity of a lifetime. Thanks to Mr. Stolley, the Yale publishing course staff, presenters and my classmates for a renewed faith in journalism, truth and empowerment.




No comments:

Post a Comment