Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Writers are sensitive


 
For those who missed the clever hashtag labeled #10thingsnottosaytoawriter. Thousands of whiny writers responded by reposting the tag in social media. Non-writers were probably shocked to know there are seemingly harmless but common insults to wordsmiths. Writer folk are a sensitive bunch so most will dismiss our moaning. The chatter online reminded me of the reason, for years, I refused to label myself a "writer."
People treat you differently when they discover you are a writer. They have strange thoughts like expecting you to know their favorite author. "You mean you don't know (insert name)?" And then there is the look of judgment when you misuse grammar. It takes a certain amount of courage to admit to being a writer since it opens you up to public scrutiny.
My contribution to the #10thingsnottosaytoawriter was a single tweet:
"That was your best piece."
Hmmm, so who died and made you an expert on everything I've ever written?
Now I know my tweet might sound ungrateful to readers. It is an honor to have an audience and truly enjoy when people reach out about a piece that resonated with them. Forgive me. I find myself being protective of the columns I've written about things like grief and lost loved ones.

True Story!
They might not be viewed as the best, but they have brought healing to my soul. I have received some of the most earnest responses from hurting individuals who have shared similar emotions. It is painful to speak openly on the subject of grief, yet I feel the closest to those stories.
My favorite columns aren't fun to write, and I don't expect fanfare. My most honest works tend to have a smaller audience. I labor over them more with the understanding they are less likely to get pulled into the system for syndication. It will take some adjustment to having strangers declare which story of mine was "the best."
Here is an example of a column I wrote after the loss of my cousin and grandmother.
It's probably one of the most sincere pieces that I have ever written.

Prayer helps get through year of grief
For the full rant click here:
Writers tweet their complaints published in The Dispatch









No comments:

Post a Comment