Tuesday, October 27, 2015

I'm a Tar Heel Born and Bred!

It is a "great day to be a Tar Heel!” suggested hashtag “#GDTBATH ” that began appearing in my newsfeed a few years ago. The tag is a product of the UNC General Alumni Association’s marketing accolades and touts accomplishments of the nation’s first public university.


Photo: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
General Alumni Association
 
The hashtag is often followed by announcements such as: Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine ranked UNC the number one best value in American public higher education for a “remarkable” 10th time in a row. UNC-Chapel Hill also topped the list of campuses that provide the best value to in-state students and the “Top 10 Best Value Public Colleges for 2014″ list published by Princeton Review and USA Today.
 
While the university has experienced unprecedented academic and athletic scandals, the past few years have not damaged the reputation of the nation’s oldest public university. The university continues to be named as one of the top public and private colleges recommended as the nation’s “best values” for undergraduate education based on more than 30 factors analyzed in three areas: academics, the cost of attendance and financial aid. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine explained its selection: “Although Carolina’s admission rate remains among the lowest on our annual list, its students are among the most competitive, and its in-state cost, at $17,000, is not much higher than the average price ($16,140) for all public universities. For students who qualify for need-based aid, the total price for this top-tier university drops to an average of $7,020.”
 
 
As a young girl, I didn't dare dream of going to Carolina until I fell in love with the campus as a junior in high school. I remember staring out of the window of the activity bus that transported the cheerleaders for the 2-A boys' basketball state championship. Many of us had never been on the campus before that evening. We had chills as we walked on the floor of the Dean Smith Center and sat on the sidelines staring up at the championship banners hanging from the rafters.
At that moment I decided to apply to UNC-Chapel Hill. As I learned more about the cost of education, my options were limited, and I considered myself lucky to live in a state that had reasonably priced options for higher education. I would like to think that even if I didn’t have limited financial resources, I wouldn’t have considered applying to an out-of-state college. After all, nothing could be finer!
 
Graduation Day!
 
 
The next time I stepped onto campus would be my freshman year in college. So when the GAA encouraged alumni to reflect on the past, present and future as the university celebrated its 22nd birthday, I did indeed. In fact, I had the privilege of sharing my birthday with the historic moment, and family and friends joined me to sip, paint and celebrate at Van Gogh’s Palette. The Duke fans gave me a hard time about selecting a painting posted by GAA a few weeks prior. Our tribute to the past was inspired by a Starry Night style painting featuring UNC-Chapel Hill’s symbolic Old Well. The structure was modeled after the Temple of Love in the Gardens of Versailles and completed in 1897.
 
 
My most recent birthday celebration with family and friends
Van Gogh's Palette
http://www.vangoghspalette.com/
 
 
During my time of reflection, I recognized that the past few years of turmoil have not defeated my school spirit. True Blue fans will always cherish the Southern Part of Heaven. We do not need accolades to confirm what we know in our hearts. UNC-Chapel Hill remains a priceless gem for our state, nation and the world, and that is why
 
EVERY DAY is a Great Day To Be A Tar Heel!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment